Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,435Gear list
Like?
5dmk3 vs 7d + strobes...
Mar 18, 2013

I asked this in the 7D forum and got only 2 responses...so I figured I'd give it a go here.

Looking for an opinion here. I have a friend selling his very gently used 5Dmk3, now with some tax return cash I could afford it if I sell my 7D and Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS. Sadly he has no kit zoom, so that would leave me with these lenses to use with the 5Dmk3.

Sigma 50 f1.4

Canon 70-200 f4 L

Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L

I could eventually go for a 24-105 L, but for now I couldn't add the expense. I've data mined my photos and find that mostly I shoot portraits, but occasionally I shoot a little wildlife and sports. The 7D has been great, no question, but having used the 5Dmk3 it's just...better.

Another option is to spend the cash on some studio equipment, specifically an Einstein and PLM.

The 6D is not in the running, I don't want to take the AF step back, at times I need it.

Anyone have any thoughts??

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow