Please Critique Photo for Composition and Camera Settings

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Enthusiast Photographer
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Re: Please Critique Photo for Composition and Camera Settings
In reply to Big Kahuna 1000, Mar 18, 2013

Hi - just a note that it is really helpful to post the camera/lens settings in the post as well as embed the images themselves.

My comments:

Pic 1:  I see what you were going for, but you should get closer when you compose for something like this.  I mean tight!  Also, shooting at f/9 means you don't really have any visual impact going on here.  I would have dialed the aperture to the max and composed a lot tighter.  You don't need all the busy stuff in the background, so get rid of it with composition and bokeh.  In post-processing, it could use a bump for contrast and saturation.

Pic 2:  The uneven wall bisecting the image is distracting.  There is no clear focal point, and the whole image is flat.  You're still at f/9, which means all the distracting stuff on the other side of the posts is clearly visible.  I'm curious why you didn't compose with the tops of the posts?  It seems an awkward place to cut off the image, and the wall isn't adding anything.

I'd recommend reading "Undertanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.  That book and Scott Kelby's "Digital Photography" series were a huge help for me.  Keep shooting!

Enthusiast Photographer's gear list:Enthusiast Photographer's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow