Need advice...

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Questions thread
mapgraphs
Regular MemberPosts: 394Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Adam D Perler, Mar 17, 2013

Adam D Perler wrote:

I have been a long time and proud Olympus owner. I stared with the e-330 and then graduated to an e-3 and then moved on to the e-5. I have loved my equipment. About 1 month ago, I had my camera bag stolen out of my car which included my e-5, 12-60, 50-200, and my ec-14. Thankfully my home owners insurance will help me replace my equipment. Had I not lost my kit, I planed on looking to see what the e-7 brings as an upgrade to the e-5, especially since I had already had a substantial investment in 4/3rds. Now I just have my fl50r flash and my 50mm macro lens left.

With that being said, I am trying to decide what to do. I don't think I want to get the e5 again at this point, as the e7 is just around the corner and should be a significant step forward. I was hoping for a hybrid camera that would allow me to take advantage of both lens lineups.

I have two young children so I am shooting action photos, portraits, occasional dance recitals, street candids, and local sports (cycling). I do some semi-professional stuff, but I mostly would say that I am an advanced enthusiast who occasionally does shoots and sells a gallery photo here and there.

I have about a 5k budget with my replacement money. I have thought about grabbing an epl5 as a small and cheap solution while I wait out to see whether or not the "pro-omd" will fit the bill this fall. This way I would be able to have two systems that share the same lenses.

The other option would be to grab the omd-em5 now and with the new lens rebate ($150 per lens), replace the 12-60 and 50-200 and then wait for the e-7 to come out. Then I will have a take along camera for family stuff (the em5) and the e-7 for any shoots I do.

The final option would be to sit tight and grab a high end point and shoot such as the lx7 ($300 currently) and then wait it out until the fall. I just want to make sure I don't miss out on any photo opportunities as my girls are growing between now and the Fall announcements.

I got advice from one pro who told me to grab the Lx7 and the Nikon d7100 as this set up will likely compete well with the newer Olympus models for a smaller price tag and would be every bit as versatile. (d7100 body only is $1100 versus the current price of the e-5 at $1699).

Any advice is welcome. I have gone back and forth with this and for some reason cannot think clearly. While I am excited about the new possibilities, I would have rather not been in this situation. But since I am, I would like to make the most of it.

What would you do given where we are with Olympus. I have not gotten into the doom and gloom, but perhaps that is because I was heavily invested with equipment. I have been a huge supporter over the past 10 years, but if I ever were to look at the current competitors, this would be the time. On the other hand, I am an artistic shooter and have always felt Olympus innovation enhanced my ability to use my equipment in a more artistic way... I guess it is the infamous oly colors.

Thanks,

Adam

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

One thought perhaps,

Depending on your immediate needs, you don't necessarily need to think "new". There are refurbished and used cameras available that could tide you over till you reach a decision point. Both for the Olympus route or another brand. I would probably find it hard to give up the Olympus jpg for another brands attempts to get it as right (for me).

At any rate,You can pick up a very usable refurbished or used e-pl1 for around $130, a used E1 for $190, a used E-M5 for $900 or a used E5 for $1,000. Some examples:

KEH Camera (Olympus bodies)

Refurbished:

Cameta Camera - Olympus Compact ILC

Cameta Camera - DSLR - Nikon and Olympus

And of course, there are many, many other options.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow