Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,969Gear list
Like?
Re: Asking for Purchase Advice – New Lens
In reply to chimpsky, Mar 17, 2013

chimpsky wrote:

Hi there,

I want to purchase a wide angle lens and I’m looking for some advice.

I’m somewhat of a beginner but I don’t want to make a cheap purchase that I’m going to quickly outgrow. I purchased my first DSLR, a Rebel T4i, almost a year ago. I’m happy with the camera but I expect to upgrade in the future so I want to avoid an EF-S lens.

Full frame is somewhat incompatible with wanting a wide angle lens on a crop sensor camera. The T4i typically comes with an 18-135, so you'll really want something that goes down to 12mm if you want an improvement.

The first purchase I made after the camera was a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and I am very happy with the lens. Now I’m looking to add a second lens. At first I wasn’t certain if I would get more use out of a telephoto zoom or a wide angle zoom, but given some consideration I think I would have more use for a wide angle lens.

I’ve budgeted about $1,000 for the purchase. I’m looking for a lens that will work for landscape photography and hopefully be versatile enough for some interesting portraits. My first consideration was the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM, but I’m reading some reports that the lens isn’t very sharp.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You've already got 18mm. What will a 17-40 do for you? If you want wide angle on your T4i, get a Canon 10-22. Problem solved. If you're pining for a full frame camera, get a full frame camera.

I wouldn't use the 10-22 for portraits but you've got a 50mm f/1.4, which is certainly a decent portrait lens on a crop sensor.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow