Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SharpGlass
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Farewell DX, long live the D300!
Mar 17, 2013

I started on DX 9 years ago on promise of less expensive bodies and lenses that were supposely to be lighter over FX with a D70s and finally in 2008 with a D300 after i sold my D70s. The former proved to be correct with some exceptions on the pro DX lenses but the latter proved to be a myth in terms of less bulk and weight savings (ie. D300 vs D700).

The biggest dissappointment turned out to be the lack of DX lenses that were equivalent in focal lenghts to the 35mm film (ie. 85mm f1.8/1.4, 70-200 f2.8 VR) which were the biggest disappointment for me personally. My reaction to the 35mm DX f1.8 that appeared a year ago. A few thoughts came to mind "so what and who cares about 35 f1.8 on DX", "meh too little too late Nikon" . i wasn't interested in the 50mm focal lenght on 35mm film anyways havin used that many years in the film days, a plane jane lens with nothing special.

However there were a few pleasant surprises like the phenomenal Nikon D300 which i love and will never part with (will be using it as a super TC with the 50 f1.4 & 70-200 f2.8) and the special Nikon 17-55 f2.8 to me which although was short on the long end, nicer still if it was 17-70. I loved that lens because it was the sharpest I have ever owned across the range and til this day I am still sad to have sold it to buy the 24-70 f2.8 which was not sharper but more useful for portraits. I try not to look at the pics I took with that lens which is funny in a strange way, sigh.

I would have stayed in DX if Nikon made a 50/55-200mm f2.8/4.0 for sports and a 58mm f1.4/1.8 for portraits. With the purchase of used D700 in excellent condition with 11k clicks for $1000 I have made the leap to FX with the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G, 85mm f1.4D, 50mm f1.4G . Next purchase the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 very soon money in hand ;). I know the D400 when it arrives will raise the bar the D300 set even higher but it's time for me to move on to FX with more and faster (pro) glass. This time around with FX I'm more emphasis on lenses over bodies which is why i will not buy the D800 (i consider the D600 a downgrade), 12 MP is all I need for now but i know in the not so distant future the down the road when i can get a refurbished or used like new or excellent condition D800 or D800e or better still a mythical D710 new (D800 with 24 MP senor) I will not hesitate to pull the trigger not because i need the 36 MP sensor but because of the new tech and because "i want it" :). There I said it.

Will the D800 be my last DSLR camera? probably but I will be looking for mirror-less camera for my small camera kit (ie. travel and such). Nikon's 1 camera and lenses are a big disappointment so far, no fast glass and camera feature set no where close to their DSLR's take your pick.

-- hide signature --

'It's about photography plain and simple'

SharpGlass's gear list:SharpGlass's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +6 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D40 Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D70s Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow