Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mgn2
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
D5100 user considering NEX-6
Mar 17, 2013

I'm sure this is the n-th time somebody has asked this question, but everyone has slightly different specifics. I believe it that the IQ of the NEX-6 will be as good or better than the D5100. My main concern is AF speed and low light focussing performance. I am used to decent speed with the combination of the Nikon D5100 + Nikkor 35mm 1.8, and pretty close with the Nikon 18-55mm VR lens as well. I can literally pick up the camera with the power switched ON previously, look through the viewfinder and click instantaneously and catch the action (moving people and small child in low/medium light indoors) and get good results with a wide aperture and high(ish) ISO. How will this compare on the NEX-6? If the kit lens won't be satisfactory, which lens would get me close/equal/better and at what cost? Also, how do the wide/ultra-wide lenses for the NEX-6 compare to the Nikon wide-angle zooms (Nikkor/Tokina 12-24mm)? I'm looking for realistic answers from someone who has switched over, or currently using both systems. Cheers.

Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow