Started Mar 17, 2013 | Questions thread
Adam D Perler
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Roger Engelken, Mar 17, 2013

Roger Engelken wrote:

Adam D Perler wrote:

I have been a long time and proud Olympus owner. I stared with the e-330 and then graduated to an e-3 and then moved on to the e-5. I have loved my equipment. About 1 month ago, I had my camera bag stolen out of my car which included my e-5, 12-60, 50-200, and my ec-14. Thankfully my home owners insurance will help me replace my equipment. Had I not lost my kit, I planed on looking to see what the e-7 brings as an upgrade to the e-5, especially since I had already had a substantial investment in 4/3rds. Now I just have my fl50r flash and my 50mm macro lens left.

With that being said, I am trying to decide what to do. I don't think I want to get the e5 again at this point, as the e7 is just around the corner and should be a significant step forward. I was hoping for a hybrid camera that would allow me to take advantage of both lens lineups.

I have two young children so I am shooting action photos, portraits, occasional dance recitals, street candids, and local sports (cycling). I do some semi-professional stuff, but I mostly would say that I am an advanced enthusiast who occasionally does shoots and sells a gallery photo here and there.

I have about a 5k budget with my replacement money. I have thought about grabbing an epl5 as a small and cheap solution while I wait out to see whether or not the "pro-omd" will fit the bill this fall. This way I would be able to have two systems that share the same lenses.

The other option would be to grab the omd-em5 now and with the new lens rebate ($150 per lens), replace the 12-60 and 50-200 and then wait for the e-7 to come out. Then I will have a take along camera for family stuff (the em5) and the e-7 for any shoots I do.

The final option would be to sit tight and grab a high end point and shoot such as the lx7 ($300 currently) and then wait it out until the fall. I just want to make sure I don't miss out on any photo opportunities as my girls are growing between now and the Fall announcements.

I got advice from one pro who told me to grab the Lx7 and the Nikon d7100 as this set up will likely compete well with the newer Olympus models for a smaller price tag and would be every bit as versatile. (d7100 body only is $1100 versus the current price of the e-5 at $1699).

Any advice is welcome. I have gone back and forth with this and for some reason cannot think clearly. While I am excited about the new possibilities, I would have rather not been in this situation. But since I am, I would like to make the most of it.

What would you do given where we are with Olympus. I have not gotten into the doom and gloom, but perhaps that is because I was heavily invested with equipment. I have been a huge supporter over the past 10 years, but if I ever were to look at the current competitors, this would be the time. On the other hand, I am an artistic shooter and have always felt Olympus innovation enhanced my ability to use my equipment in a more artistic way... I guess it is the infamous oly colors.

Thanks,

Adam

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

The best advice I can give is to reach into your heart and soul and search for what excites you in photography, and how you wish to be challenged and rewarded. None of us knows what the future will bring with anything, let alone Olympus or another camera maker may or may not do. I know what works for me (well some of the time anyhow). I do not know what works for you. As your signature line says....when I do it...I understand it. And best of everything, whatever path you choose.

Roger.

Roger,

That is great insight.  I know my old equipment best and very little about the u4/3rds line or the other camera makers.  I believe I have a personal bias towards Olympus, but that is based on my past experiences only.  I guess I should take my time and look at some of the other options out there and see if any of them speak to me in the way my old Olympus equipment did.  I loved my e-5, but I do have to admit... it was a bit cumbersome at times for the more casual shoots.  Like you said, I will just have to go and get some different cameras in my hand and see if they excite me at all.  I was just hoping to see what other ideas members of this column had, especially since this is the forum that my photography started with 10 years ago.

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

Adam D Perler's gear list:Adam D Perler's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow