post-processing workflow

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,698Gear list
Like?
Re: post-processing workflow
In reply to bob5050, Mar 17, 2013

I find LR handy when I've got large sets of images on the same body and lens.  If many of the images in the sets are higher ISO where I'll need to be concerned with Luma or Chroma noise reduction it will change the flow.  For high ISO I set the in-camera settings to neutral with as little or zero default sharpening as possible and less vivid curves.  Then I can batch convert the raw files out to 16 bit Tiff files with Raw conversion software and get the OEM sanctioned NR (DPP or SPP for Canon or Foveon images maybe RawTherapee for Pentax whatever is working for me).  So the noise has been taken care of in the first pass as well as the histograms being very close to what I'd like to see.  Then the group is taken through LR for final finishing.  I set the first three or four images manually as to presence, sharpening, white/black point & lens correction (sometimes I can get away with turning up the contrast here).  The set of minor corrections gets copied to the rest of the group and I glance through the set to crop and make even more minor adjustments if any are needed.  Note the raw to Tiff conversion can take some time and results in very big files.  Once it took 3 hours to process 550 CR2 FF files this way.  As you experiment with different flows you'll come across ones you personally like better than others and that is what you're looking for in my opinion.

Cheers

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow