Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Big Kahuna 1000
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Please Critique Photo for Composition and Camera Settings
Mar 17, 2013

Here's some shots I took on western Puerto Rico, just north of RIncon, yesterday.  Please critique them for composition and camera settings.  Also, is there a better forum for this kind of request?

Photo one

Photo two

Some thoughts:

1.  I should have tweaked depth of field more effectively.

2.  The wall was curved.  In photo 1 I tried to make the sweep of the curve lead the eye to the flower.  Instead, the near-field column detracts from the flower.

3.  I think photo 2 would have been better if I had:

• leveled the camera
  • pulled the flower deeper into the composition
  • tweaked depth of field

3.  There was a bit of overcast, so it is dimmer than I'd hoped for.

I'm just getting back into serious photography after a very long hiatus (by 'very long hiatus' I mean that the last time I took it seriously I was using a brand-new Canon AE-1 ).  I've always had a good eye, but my composition skills are very rusty, and I must re-learn the basics, such as manipulation of camera capabilities like DoF.  Also the whole post-processing thing is new to me.  Looking forward to catching up with things though, will be fun.

I have bought an NRX-6 and I really enjoy it.  I've also bought Lightroom 4, but it won't import the NEX-6 RAWs, so I'm downloading 4.3 from my hotel (will take awhile).

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow