Forum ProPosts: 23,272Gear list
Like?
Re: Resolution and AF Re: Very good hands-on review of the D7100
In reply to photoreddi, Mar 17, 2013

photoreddi wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

AF: that may be the most relevant aspect of this new camera. Have you tested the various points. Since its sensor is denser than the D800's and I have seen some problems with PDAF for extreme lateral points (mostly the leftmost AF point), I wonder if you have checked that.

If there are problems with PDAF at the extreme lateral AF point, that shouldn't have anything to do with the sensor density since the AF sensors are located off-sensor, below the mirror box IIRC. No?

Thanks for the good job, rather fast!

Yes, excellent job. If Thom Hogan needs to hire another assistant ...

YOu forget that people check AF accuracy at full res. The D7100's full res is 50% higher (pixels per unit area) than the D800's. What was ok at 12MP (D700) seems not to be ok at 36MP, the D7100's sensor density at FF would provide 54MP worth of pixels.

No, I've long been aware of the D7100's higher pixel density and have cautioned others to be aware of this when they're pixel peeping. But the AF sensors won't perform any better or any worse no matter what the sensor is that's in the camera or what its pixel pitch is because by design PD AF is not intended to produce perfect focus. This may have been acceptable with older, lower resolution sensors but with cameras like the D800 and D7100, for the best AF accuracy Live View's CD AF should be used.

I didn't say the Af sensors would work better or not, just that if you have more resolution available any variation shopuld be more easily perceived.

Speaking of forgetting, you recently replied to one of my posts, trying to correct me, saying that when I wrote that the 18.5mm 1-Series lens had an f/1.8 aperture, that I was mistaken, that it had a maximum aperture of only f/2.8. I owned that f/1.8 lens and my reply to you included a photo of it and IIRC, a link to it on B&H's website. Did you not see that reply, or did you just forget to acknowledge your error?

I just missed it, sorry, last week I was on a trip and didn't check carefully my posts. My apologies.

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow