Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jonzalez
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
Sony 70-400 G vs Bigma 50-500 OS?
Mar 17, 2013

Yesterday afternoon just before the sunset I was testing my new Kenko MC4 AF 1.4x DGX teleconverter with both the A99 and NEX-6/LA-EA2 -combo at Oulu-River, Finland.

Shot with Kenko 1.4 x TC

I took some pics of the wild ducks and soon noticed, that with Sony 70-200 F2.8 G autofocusing was working fine, but when attached to my Sigma 50-500 OS the AF was non-useable. When manually focused, Kenko TC was fine also with Sigma. Because of this, I ended up taking most my yesterdays pics without the TC.

I have to do some more testing, but for the image quality, the impact of the 1.4x TC seems to be quite minimal.

I'm now thinking if it would be best to keep this Sigma 50-500 OS or sell it for the Sony 70-400 G (new or old)? The optical stabilizer on a Sigma lens is a big help when you're composing your pics zoomed with 400-500 mm focal length.

I have no experience from the Sony 70-400 G lens, but I have tried to shoot handheld and fully zoomed out with Sigma when OS was not turned on and that's something not very enjoyable or at least you need a sturdy tripod or monopod, when trying to do that.

Any recommendations between these two lenses?

jonzalez's gear list:jonzalez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 Sony SLT-A58 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow