So... I finally come to a decision to go with the OM-D... Is there any big hand users out there?

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Questions thread
Jack Hogan
Senior MemberPosts: 3,454Gear list
Like?
Re: Jack: One Question, Short and Sweet - Quick Answer
In reply to texinwien, Mar 17, 2013

texinwien wrote:

I'm a camera manufacturer. I'm about to build a camera. One of my engineers tells me that if I choose a 2-to-1 ratio for camera ISO Setting-to-saturation sensitivity across the whole range (i.e. ISO Setting 200 = saturation sensitivity 100 ... ISO Setting 25,600 = saturation sensitivity 12,800 with no deviations on the scale), I will effectively be 'faking' (or would be able to use the variance to fake) better noise performance than the camera actually offers, and sites like DPReview won't notice this faking or mention it to their readers.

Should I fire the engineer or give him a raise, Jack? Does he know what he's talking about, or is he sadly mistaken?

Looking forward to your answer.

I don't think 'faking' is the right word, since the standard allows them to basically do as they please, so there is nothing 'fake' about it, just another labelling choice. However, to answer your question I think I would ask the engineer why he would want to do go against common practice in the industry, which for years has been sitting in the 1.3-1.4x range as evidenced by what the other leading manufacturers have been doing. I suspect the engineer, being rational, would agree that it is an idea with no technical or practical merit and change his mind.

On the other hand if instead of an engineer it had been someone from the marketing department coming to me with the same proposal, I am not so sure he would have come to the same conclusion But who knows, maybe yes.

Anyways, it might be fun to delve into conspiracy therories, but that has nothing to do with the fact that in-camera ISOs are inconsistently labelled or how fairly to compare two cameras, the issues at hand.

Cheers,
Jack

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow