Leaving DSLR - pros and cons of X-E1 vs OM-D EM-5

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
pavinder
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
Re: Leaving DSLR - pros and cons of X-E1 vs OM-D EM-5
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, Mar 17, 2013

Jordan Norris wrote:

A decent camera that is with me always, is much better than precision tool that I leave at home.

Absolutely.  This is exactly why I'm moving away from DSLR.  Technical purity would be lovely with a 10x8 view camera, but nowadays if it's not easy to carry it doesn't get used.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

If you want to have nice Bokeh and shallow DOF a M43 camera is not what you want.

This is a big concern I have. Is that simply because of the available lenses' widest apertures or is it a function of the system itself?

But if you really find an aperture ring and shutter dial cumbersome I recommend to get a Sony NEX.

I have been shooting since the mid '70s and used to always use fully manual everything.  But since the advent of the digital age, I've simply gotten used to the speed of access via small wheels under the thumb rather than turning a lens barrel or a horizontal click-dial. I now prefer it.

Jordan Norris wrote:

. The fully "old school" controls (having to manually turn the aperture ring on the lens barrel and the click dial for shutter speed). I find it a little cumbersome.--

Have you tried this in practice? I used(and still use from time to time) Nikon and Canon DSLRs for over 5years. Going to the manual-esque control styling of the XE-1 is probably my #3 most valuable feature about the camera...

I absolutely love the form of the X-E1 too, but I think for me it's mainly as a design feature and aesthetic coolness rather than a quick and functional tool to use.

#4. Paired with the fuji 35mm f/1.4... basically gives me my (affordable) version of the Leica M with 50mm Summicron

#5. Mirrorless system gives me a plethora of manual lens options; DX taking slightly less of a hit on DOF & FOV

What about with the kit zoom?  Do you recommend the primes all the way?

Finally, my concern about noise? For long exposure night shooting, samples I've seen seem to show cleaner shadows on the X-E1 over the Olympus. But if I simply use longer exposures at lower ISO, do people feel that the E-M5 will still have major noise problems in darker shadow areas compared to the Fuji?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow