Started Mar 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Debabrata Dasgupta
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: Comparing 7D with 60D
In reply to TTMartin, Mar 17, 2013

TTMartin wrote:

Debabrata Dasgupta wrote:

I am presently using a 500D and considering an up gradation to 60D or 7D. Though the price of 7D is much higher, I may have opt for it if large difference is there between them. Request other forum members to compare them as per their knowledge and/or hands on experience on these two cameras. Main points for comparison should be

1. Image Quality (Both RAW and JPEG);

No significant difference between the two cameras or the 550D, 600D or 650D for that matter

2. Low light photo quality / performance ;

No significant difference between the two cameras or the 550D, 600D or 650D for that matter

3. Lower Noise and high ISO performance;

4. Autofocus performance

The auto focus system is one of the two main areas where the 7D differs from the other cameras. First the 7D has micro-focus adjust, allowing you to tune the focus of each lens. The 7D has a separate dedicated focus processor, so its focus is better at tracking moving subjects than the other camera. The 7D also has 19 cross type auto focus points, more than twice as many as the other cameras. The 7D's focus system is very flexible and configurable, this can add a level of complexity that some users find daunting.

The 60D and 650D have 9 cross type auto points.

other good features shall come after these main points.

The other big difference that the 7D has is frame rate. The 7D shoots at 8 frames per second, and has a 24 RAW image buffer. The 60D shoots at 5.3 frames per second and has a 16 RAW image buffer. The 650D has a similar frame rate to the 60D, but, a smaller RAW image buffer.

I have with me the 18-55 kit lens, 50 mm f1.8 and 70 - 300 mm IS (non - L) lens

Regards

Unless, you are unhappy with the control layout or size of your 500D, I would consider a 600D or 650D.

If you want a larger camera and the control wheel, then the 60D would be the better choice.

Unless you are shooting action, sports or birds in flight the 7D is probably over kill.

Canon is expected to announce 2 new cameras in about a week, so I would recommend waiting until after March 24th before purchasing a new camera.

Thanks for your feedback and point by point discussion. As suggested by you and others, I shall definitely wait for sometimes and watch the coming announcements from Canon before taking the final call.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow