when to use or not use flash for portraits during daylight?

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
quadrox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020Gear list
Like?
Re: when to use or not use flash for portraits during daylight?
In reply to kev777zero, Mar 17, 2013

It's really not very complicated in my experience. The more fill from the flash you need (or the darker the subjects shadows), the more apparent the flash will be in the final picture, especially when using direct head on unmodified flash. For me personally, I try to keep the fill flash subtle, which can be tricky and I don't really have much experience with it.

I remember one particular shot,  where I shot a group against the setting sun. I used direct flash because I had nothing else at the time, and the effect was very visible in the picture afterwards. It was not easy to see what it was, but to me the picture looked clearly unnatural. Others had no objections to the picture, especially after doing some post processing to even things out a bit.

I assume you will have to do some experiments of your own to see what works for you and what doesn't.

quadrox's gear list:quadrox's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow