Ultrawide for Italy?

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Questions thread
sjprintz
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
Re: Ultrawide for Italy?
In reply to jhorse, Mar 17, 2013

I went to Rome and Florence with my D300 and two lenses:  17-55mm F2.8 and 10-24mm.  I did the usual tourist stuff.

I thought I would use the ultra wide 10-24 a lot, but I used the 17-55mm about 95% of the time.  If you're inside in a church or museum, the lighting is not very good so the faster lens was much better.  Also, I did not need to go wider than 17 (or 25mm for a FX) most of the time.  I did get some pictures of the Coliseum with the 10-24mm but for the most part, I could have lived without this lens.

One final thought. There are lots of pickpockets in Italy so be careful when changing lenses.  I never had a problem, but I was quite aware of my surrounding.

I know you asked about the best UWA, but I really think you're better off with a fast lens that goes pretty wide. Just my 2 cents.

SP

sjprintz's gear list:sjprintz's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow