Displaying pdf files on Safari 5.1.7

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Questions thread
noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,558
Like?
Re: Displaying pdf files on Safari 5.1.7
In reply to Drogba88, Mar 17, 2013

Peter Parsons wrote:

Maybe someone on this forum knows the answer to this question. I am using v.5.1.7 of Safari which will not display a pdf file. All I get is a black page. Have checked preferences but no reference there to pdf files. I am using OS Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Any help would be much appreciated.

Most likely something with the pdf browser plugins is screwed up (eg, the version of Safari and the version of the plugin are not compatible). Just go to /Library/Internet Plug-ins (and to ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins) and delete everything with pdf in the name (if you want to be safe, copy them to somewhere else first). Restart Safari and things should work again.

This works because Safari can display pdfs without the help of a plugin (but Firefox, at least for a very long time, needed one). Thus just chucking out the not properly working pdf plugins thus allows Safari to display the pdfs and not handing them over to a non-functioning plugin.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow