Started Mar 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
heptagon
Regular MemberPosts: 190Gear list
Like?
NEX-7N vs NEX-9
Mar 16, 2013

My main gear is Nikon D4, but I need a pocket camera for everyday shooting. I have used the following mirrorless:

Fujifilm X100: The focusing speed is too unacceptable.

Sony NEX-7: Apart from the relatively poor focusing speed, I was not pleased with the abnormal diaphragm of the Zeiss 24mm f1.8 after I tried 4 samples. Also, the E-mount lacks a standard zoom with fast aperture.

Sony RX100: The aperture at wide-angle side is fast, delivering relatively good low-light performance, but it lacks EVF.

Olympus E-PL5 + Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8: Generally a good combo, but lacks EVF, and has a very limited overall low-light performance since the aperture at wide-angle side is not fast enough.

I will not consider the O-MD E-M5 as the EVF blocks the possibility of putting it into my pocket.

The Sony RX1 looks very prominent, but again without a built-in EVF I'm not willing to put that much money into such a camera.

I'm now looking into buying the NEX-7N, along with the 16-50mm lens. Shall I instead wait for the fullframe NEX-9? Looking at the size of the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 lens, and the 24-70mm lenses from Canon, Nikon and Sony, I don't have much faith with the portability of a standard zoom for the NEX-9. Or maybe I should just go with the NEX-6 for better bung for the buck?

heptagon's gear list:heptagon's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D4 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow