Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8D high pitched noise when focusing

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Questions thread
Darryl E Mylrea
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Re: Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8D high pitched noise when focusing
In reply to ADMint, Mar 16, 2013

Thanks for the reference link, but I did read that this morning, before posting mine. That person seemed to have a different issue, but it was brought up many times that this lens has been trouble, for one thing or another.

I would like to clarify, though, that it is not your normal squeaking sound. It is a much higher pitched noise...very audible and very high frequency. I can't tell if it's electronic in nature or metal-on-metal inside the lens, but it's the kind of noise that makes people standing nearby cringe. The girl behind the counter at the repair shop was surprised when she heard it.

Regarding the repair shop, I believe them to be trustworthy. They've been around for quite a number of years, and while this is my first time with them, I have no reason to distrust them at this point.

Anyways, I'll do some more research on the problems with this lens and make a decision whether to invest $500 into its repair (assuming it needs a motor) or possibly just sell it, as-is, or even use it as-is and possibly focus manually. I'm not sure I trust my eyes enough anymore to be sure it's really in focus!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow