ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
argonzero
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Yet another Sigma 35mm 1.4 first impressions thread
Mar 16, 2013

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say how very impressed I am at the build and finish of the Sigma.  I was debating for months between the Nikon 28mm 1.8 and this lens, and after receiving the Sigma I'm thoroughly impressed by the image quality and the build.  I would fall into the category of people who usually only consider first-party lenses, and previously borrowing other Sigma lenses I was very skeptical that they could make a first rate product with no compromises. At 1.466 lbs this thing feels out there on my D600, but the added weight certainly helps to dampen the mirror mechanism when shooting at lower shutter speeds. The tolerance of the parts look precise, and the focusing mechanism doesn't seem to have any play. It doesn't have any play side to side or forward or backwards that I can detect. Pictures online of the hood looked cheap and plastic, but in actuality it is quality and the rear beveled portion of the lens hood has a rubber inlay which helps with grip and finish.

Image quality is very impressive! The image is amazingly sharp wide open, with a small falloff of noticeable sharpness only in the extreme corners.  It seems as though field curvature is not noticeable but I'm no expert on that. One aspect which blows me away is how well controlled longitudinal chromatic aberration is. Its a function of the focal length also, but compared to other Nikon f/1.4 lenses you could say that there is relatively none. That was a aspect which I was very disappointed with on the Nikon 50mm 1.4 (owned) and 85mm 1.4 (rented).

I felt as though my 50mm was bit to tight for everyday shooting.  I'm glad I went with 35mm vs 28mm, it feels just right or sometimes just smudge wide (which is not a problem at all, just a step in fixes that). This along with my 85mm 1.8 should be all I need for most situations.

Anyways if your on the fence because of build and image quality concerns hopefully this helps. You'd still have to make up your mind as far as focal length goes however, lol. Next for me, finding a good UWA lens again, lol.

Nikon D600 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow