Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,725Gear list
Like?
Re: SEL-24F18z or SEL35f18
In reply to Andyc2000, Mar 16, 2013

Andyc2000 wrote:

I think you are right.

But he said that was on a FF camera where  he preferred 35mm.  For the Nex, that would be a 24mm lens.

I like the compactness of the 35, so I think I'll go with that one and will consider adding the 85 when it comes out. Hopefully those and the lenses I already have will cover most of what I plan to use the camera for.

The 85 will probably be the best bet for a native Nex portrait lens.  Until then, a 50mm would be better than the 35, at least for more head-and-shoulders type shots, I would think.  I like my old legacy 50/1.7 for portraits.  Really magical at times.  

I know a lot of people like a 35mm lens (on APS-C) as an all-around general purpose lens, but I find it way too tight.  Even the Sigma 30 is about as long as I would like.  I prefer wider most of the time.  So, I agree with the poster that says that you should have an idea of  what you want; 35 and 24 are different.

You could probably use the 55-210 for portraits as long as you don't need the aperture to be wider.  The bokeh is not bad at all.  At least you'd get your subject all in focus.  With the 50/1.7, even at f2, you might just get a nose and part of a face in focus and everything else starting to blur.....

Thanks all for the great input.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow