hands-on review of the D7100

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gar Ber
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
Re: How much shadow lifting on sunflower picture ? (banding)
In reply to creaDVty, Mar 16, 2013

Looking forward to see your observations. Is there any way you would be willing to make the original NEF available of this particular picture (or maybe a good TIFF) ? I did some numerical analysis of the area I mentioned, but I can't really say if the results tell more about the picture coming out of the camera or about the compression algorithm...they do point in the direction though that the data/picture shows a repeating "row oriented" noise pattern with period of about ~ 4 pixels.

I'm far from being an expert in this area so I wont make any further conclusions, but at least this tells me I'm not imagining seeing the patterns/rows in the picture.

Selection in the original image where noise pattern was noticed (visible elsewhere too). REDUCED SIZE

Sub selection on which analysis was done. REDUCED SIZE

Per-row - per channel average. 288 rows in the selection starting from the top (row 0) going down (row 288).

PS: I don't know if I'm allowed to post the original picture (albeit reduced) here, so let me know and I'll remove it promptly if necessary.

To anyone else interested:

All the pictured in this post are reduced in size, so look in previous posts for links to the original image.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow