hands-on review of the D7100

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Gar Ber Regular Member • Posts: 115
Re: How much shadow lifting on sunflower picture ? (banding)

Looking forward to see your observations. Is there any way you would be willing to make the original NEF available of this particular picture (or maybe a good TIFF) ? I did some numerical analysis of the area I mentioned, but I can't really say if the results tell more about the picture coming out of the camera or about the compression algorithm...they do point in the direction though that the data/picture shows a repeating "row oriented" noise pattern with period of about ~ 4 pixels.

I'm far from being an expert in this area so I wont make any further conclusions, but at least this tells me I'm not imagining seeing the patterns/rows in the picture.

Selection in the original image where noise pattern was noticed (visible elsewhere too). REDUCED SIZE

Sub selection on which analysis was done. REDUCED SIZE

Per-row - per channel average. 288 rows in the selection starting from the top (row 0) going down (row 288).

PS: I don't know if I'm allowed to post the original picture (albeit reduced) here, so let me know and I'll remove it promptly if necessary.

To anyone else interested:

All the pictured in this post are reduced in size, so look in previous posts for links to the original image.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow