Started Mar 16, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Darryl E Mylrea
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8D high pitched noise when focusing
Mar 16, 2013

My 28-70mm 2.8 (which hasn't had much use over the years) makes a ear-piercing high-pitched noise when focusing.

I took it to a local repair shop for a diagnosis. The shop does their own repairs.

After an initial check, I was told that either they could fix it with a firmware update (to the lens), and if not, it's cost about $250 for a refurb motor + $200 for labor to repair. It's currently in the queue to be checked further.

Since I've been waiting, I'm reading how this lens can be problematic. While a $50 firmware update would be nice, I'm now reconsidering whether or not to spend $500 on the repair.

I'm not a pro (or even a semi-pro), and to spend $500 to repair a lens that is predisposed to more problems is not an easy decision.  I suppose the other option is to just live with it.

Does anyone know about this lens having a very high-pitched noise when focusing? I thought it might just need lubrication, but the repair shop seems to think it's the motor.

Thanks.

ANSWER:
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow