d600 sent in to Nikon for sensor dust - arrived with impact damage

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,494Gear list
Like?
Casting Flaw
In reply to quickly, Mar 16, 2013

quickly wrote:

Nikon just sent me photos of what they are calling impact damage. I am still clueless on how this could have happened, whether it came from the factory like this, was damaged in shipping or at the Nikon facility. I do know that I did not drop the camera. If this how a body should hold up from normal use?

impact damage number 1

and this

This is almost certainly a casting flaw, i.e., a manufacturing defect that Nikon are attempting to blame their customer for.  I'd just tell them to send my camera back, do some micrographic studies, and hire a lawyer. You should seek heavy punitive damages for such an attempt to defraud you, rather than merely seeking to avoid their attempt at charging you $250.  It's time to start playing hardball with these people.

The key detail is the abrupt change in width of the crack, next to the screw.  A crack that occurred from post-manufacture damage would have a perfectly linear increase in width, from the end-point to the widest point.  Another "smoking gun" would be if there is black paint inside the crack, which there appears to be from these photos (higher magnification is needed to determine this).  Further, examination of the bottom plate under the rubber grip (is this the removable cover for the battery-grip connector?) could provide useful evidence.

-- hide signature --

Qualities possessed by God in infinite proportion: Love, Grace, Power, Righteousness, Wisdom, . . .
Qualities possessed by humans in infinite proportion: Ignorance.
- Marianne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NTNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow