Your 16mm (SEL16F28) examples...

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,926Gear list
Like?
Re: Your 16mm (SEL16F28) examples...
In reply to Bokehmon Trainer, Mar 16, 2013

Bokehmon Trainer wrote:

I just got this lens in the mail as part of a promotion when I bought my NEX6. How does this compare to the kit lens at 16mm?

I only have the 18-55 kit lens to compare; this lens only goes to 18mm, so the 16mm is a bit wider.  The 16mm is similar or worse at wide apertures but past f4, I think it's sharper except for the extreme corners.  The two lenses behave differently, though, even beyond the handling of the corners.  For another thing, the 18-55 has barrel distortion at 18mm (so does the 16-50 kit), while the 16mm lens has only a little distortion; then again, your camera or photo editor may adjust for this anyway.  The main thing people complain about the 16mm are the soft corners, but they get better as you stop down; this is just personal preference as to how much it matters.  There's also a lot of CA, but that can be mitigated in software too.  The end result looks pretty good to me, at least after processing.   Personally, I like it, but the convenience of the 16-50 would make it hard for me to choose, probably.

I'm contemplating on selling or getting the UWA to bring out its full potential.

edit: can you use the converter on any 49mm lens?

It doesn't work on the 18-55.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow