SAL 85mm 2.8 vs Contax G 90mm 2.8

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
neonexxer
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
Re: SAL 85mm 2.8 vs Contax G 90mm 2.8
In reply to seachicken2000, Mar 16, 2013

seachicken2000 wrote:

I have both, and the answer is yes, the Contax G seems sharper and more contrasty to me. But this is only my impression, and the difference is quite small. I believe the SAL85 is recording a similar amount of detail, but doesn't appear as sharp because it's a little less contrasty.

If I were to choose only one I'd pick the SAL 85 because:

• AF can be handy at this focal length especially when the lenses are wide open and used at close range, the photographer or the subject can move
  • I prefer the rendering and bokeh of the SAL 85 for portraiture, the Contax G is a bit harsh

On the other hand, if you're looking for that sharp/contrasty Zeissy look, the Contax G is the one.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

Great to know!  I'm on the edge of picking up an 85 prime too.  I have the FL covered in MF by a Canon FDn 85/1.8 at the moment, but as you said - I'm finding more and more that AF (and maybe OSS) would make life easier in quite a few situations!  More so than having a faster (ie. larger aperture) lens   Now just waiting a teensy bit longer to see how that rumored E-mount 85mm turns out, if at all!

neonexxer's gear list:neonexxer's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A37 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow