Widest C Mount CCTV focal length with the least vignetting? 8mm, 12mm, 16mm, 25mm, 35mm

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Questions thread
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: Widest C Mount CCTV focal length with the least vignetting? 8mm, 12mm, 16mm, 25mm, 35mm
In reply to blue_skies, Mar 16, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

fortworth wrote:

I'm interested in getting a C Mount lens and found a lot of articles for the "Fujian CCTV 1.7/35".
The Fujian seems to work well, but I also found 25mm and 16mm lenses with aperture as high as F/1.2 or F/1.4
I have a 50mm Canon FD lens and its way too wide for anything but portraits.

Will a 16mm C Mount CCTV lens work without significant distortion requiring cropping ?

I found a 8mm samples with a lot of vignetting.

thanks.

Don't bother. Unless you like cropping.

CCTV lenses are made for a 1" sensor. At 35mm there is a hint of vignetting, which progressively gets worst at shorter FLs. Longer FL does not vignet.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

They're actually made for a bunch of different sensor sizes, the smallest of which (I think) is 1/4". Most of the ones repurposed/advertised for photography use are designed for 1" sensors, like blue_skies said, but if you venture into the wider CCTV world you'll have to identify their sensor size yourself.

The bottom line, though, is that the vast majority of them will cause a lot of vignetting, even on a m4/3 sensor. The only mirrorless camera that works with lots of them is the Pentax Q, and to a lesser extent the Nikon 1 series.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow