Nikon 85 f1.8G - Question

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Paul StL
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: Nikon 85 f1.8G - Question
In reply to six34sigma, Mar 16, 2013

six34sigma wrote:

Took this picture of my son with my D90 .... 1/60", f1.8, ISO 1250 - Flash, handheld. Your thoughts, am I expecting too much out of the D90, the lens ....

No, you're not expecting too much but you are expecting too much under these conditions unless your technique is ridiculously perfect.  85mm on DX is about 127mm which means your shutter is less than half your focal length and extremely prone to camera shake plus the the possibility of subject movement.  Ideally you'd like to be 1/200" or above.  Couple this with the insanely razor thin DOF at f1.8 (at a focus distance of 5 feet the DOF is about .8 inches, at minimum focus distance, it's about 1/4 of an inch and even a 10 feed focus distance has a DOF of only 3.5 inches) and you have a recipe for disaster.

Don't feel bad.  I had the same initial impressions when I first shot the lens until I looked at my metadata and realized most of the parameters (low light, slow shutter, close focusing distance, moving subject) were working against me (and the lens).

Try again under better conditions and I think you'll find the lens is unbelievable for the price.  Even the bokeh is better than I expected.  Good luck.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow