So... I finally come to a decision to go with the OM-D... Is there any big hand users out there?

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Questions thread
Mal_In_Oz
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
I am going to regret this, but...
In reply to Anders W, Mar 15, 2013

Anders W wrote:

I don't think you did. "Should be" implies a norm that the manufacturer are obliged to follow. There is no such thing when it comes to the DxOMark "measured ISOs". The only norm the manufacturers are obliged to follow concern OOC jpegs, not RAWs.

Anders, this type of argument about comparable ISO has been pervading the forum for ages, and it would be really useful for everyone to come to some agreement about what it means. I doubt my questions will solve the battle but I am going to give it a try.

1. What do you think is a better way to compare these cameras, by using the same ISO or by using the same aperture and shutter speed? I use the word "better" in this question but you could interpret it to mean "fairer" for the purpose of establishing which camera produces the best image quality in the same conditions. I also wish to note that the comparison between the GH3 and the EM5 are a rare opportunity to remove the lens from the equation because both cameras are tested with the same 50mm F2 lens on the DPReview tests, so my question in the first instance relates specifically to a comparison between the GH3 and the EM5, but you could add comments about a more general comparison too.

2. Do you think there is a "normal" response (with required aperture and shutter settings) from cameras to achieve a given ISO?  If you took all the current manufactured cameras (or a suitable subset) and produced a table of ISO to aperture and shutter speed for one specific condition of lighting and scene, could we establish a normal response with which to compare all cameras?

Thanks.

(apologies in advance for possible slow response).

Mal_In_Oz's gear list:Mal_In_Oz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow