Started Aug 10, 2002 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
konrad cawley
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Samsung Digimax 230 review
Aug 10, 2002

I bought this camera for £164 from Makro after comparing features with cameras in the 2meg pixel, zoom lens class. The value swayed me first, but reviews on the competitors helped. I have not been disappointed with the results. 1600 x 1200 is best to use for quality and both indoor and outdoor pictures are ok. Focus is fine in good light, but but takes longer when illumination levels fall. Like the other reviewer, I dislike the flash that defaults to redeye when you switch on. I have invested in a 64meg compact flash card and bought 2 sets of nimh 1700 batteries. The Duracell ultras that came with the camera ran out within a day, but the nimh batteries last a lot longer between charges. I have taken over a hundred pictures and reviewed them on one charge. Overall the performance and design are fine and I recommend this camera. p.s. The delay is normal when taking pictures. I have tried out a Ricoh rr30 which is the fastest camera all round when it came to start up and shooting speed. I think that Samsung and other companies should look at Ricoh's solution to the focusing and shutter response on their future products. Adding to my moan is the redeye setting, when you take a picture with this function which I have done, the subject moves after the pre-flash thinking it has been taken. The result is a picture you did not want. This has happened a number of times. I think the delay between the pre and main flash is the problem. If I were to buy another digital camera, I would try before I buy and go for a higher resolution. I have since tried other camera's - Ricoh rr30, pentax rs330, Kyocera s3, Nikon 3100 & 885 etc, here's what they had. Speed! Samsung must have read this review, because the redeye flash has been changed on Samsung's new camera's that have been recently introduced. It's now an option.

Problems:

Redeye should be a option not default, since MGI Photosuite provides redeye removal anyway. Samsung could the camera rom/firmware be changed to alter the flash default. Let us know as this spoils a good camera.
1 nov 02, received a replacement camera from Samsung cameras uk. They diagnosed processor fault on the original. New camera works fine.

konrad cawley's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow