Started Sep 26, 2002 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bertie
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30 review
Sep 26, 2002

I shopped around for a digital camera for about 1 year now, and I finally bought the DSC-p30, for $ 259.00 Canadian (Clearance at Walmart). I used it for about 4 weeks now, and am VERY impressed with this camera. People encouraged me to go for a high megapixel camera, and I was convinced that I was gonna buy a 3.1 megapixel camera. After a year of shopping around, and talking to people, I decided that I had NO NEED for a high megapixel camera. I wanted a camera the could take Great photos, and print out a nice quality 8x10 picture. This camera did NOT disappoint me. The first project I did was to print out a 8x10 photo, using the highest quality available with the limited 4MB memory stick given. The photo turned out WAY beyond my expectations. There was no pixelation in the photo, and the picture was crystal clear. Keep in mind that I could also take a .Tiff photo, (with purchase of a higher memory stick) this would produce an even better quality photo than the one I printed, I LOVE this camera, and would recommend it to anyone.

UPDATE 2005. I am still using my Sony Camera, even though there are 6 Megapixel cameras out there now, and I still love it! I especially am pleased at how many photos I get with the 128 MB sticks (202), as with a 6 or 7 Megapixel camera, it's getting quite expensive to buy memory sticks of 1 Gb or higher, and really! do we "weekend photographers" really NEED all those Megapixels? Not really. Anyway, I will stay with this camera till it dies.

Problems:

The bad part (as in most digital camera's) is the battery consumption. I cannot comment too much, as I am still using "pure energy" rechargeable alkalines, but I did some investigating, and found a Nickel metal hydride recharger, that is very tempting to buy. It is 4 - AA's WITH the charger, for approximately $ 59.00 CDN. Make sure that you get a quick charger, otherwise, you can wait up to 13 hours to charge a pair of batteries, and at the rate that batteries die with Digital Camera's, I think it's best to have the "quick charge" capability. I bought one that took 13 hours to charge, and returned it. I am presently looking for a charger that can charge in about 2 to 4 hours, and I know they're out there. Anyways, given that the camera only requires 2 AA's, there should be enough rechargeing power in those to last a year or two. The batteries are also guaranteed for 2 years, so there you go! Hope this helps! FOLLOW UP RESPONSE (October 7, 2002):>>>>>Nickle Metal Hydride is DEFINATELY worth while. I just bought some (1600 mA) and I had 2 fully charged batteries in the camera, and Took LOTS of pictures WITH THE FLASH ON, plus showed off about 191 photos to friends & relatives with the LCD display, and after (I'd say) about 1 hour or so after doing all this, The batteries were only 1/2 way drained. TWO THUMBS UP TO NiMH batteries.

UPDATE 2005 >>> YES, on the bad side, my zoom mechanism is broken also, but the only inconvenience is a slower startup as the camera grinds, and displays their "error code" on screen, but I can still zoom in and out, the mechanism broken controls the eyepiece zoom, and not the actual zoom lens, so, do I really EVER use the eyepiece for photos...NOT. I am still pleased with my camera.

Bertie's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow