Started Dec 5, 2002 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Barry Gilfry
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Sony Mavica FD-90 review
Dec 5, 2002

I own a fleet of Canon AE-1 Programs with enough lenses to start my own store, but for just plain fun and quick shots, it would be tough to beat the FD-90. It has a decent lens and for what I paid for it new, I'm satisfied with the resolution and the ease of operation. It's short on features, long on convenience. Flash works reasonably well, color balance is a little yellow even adjusted for indoor lighting. I love the fact that it shoots onto a floppy. (Turned out not to be such a good thing... See below)

Problems:

Problems? I got a lot of service from the camera, but when it died, it died. The floppy drive shows "error" so the camera is useless. Sony has a "one-time-all-service" charge of $177.00 for repairs. Is it worth it? I don't think so.

Regarding the Sony FD-100s I use for work. I've blown out two of those, too (floppy drive stops working). The only difference? Those have a memory stick mounting port so the camera can still be used. In the FD-90, one can only use a memory stick through a floppy-adapter. When the floppy drive dies, throw the camera away.

I am amazed that Sony, with the huge budget they must have for R&D, can turn out products that are so ill-conceived and poorly manufactured.

Bad Feature: The FD-100 I use for work has the capability of mounting an eye-viewer over the LCD screen. But it doesn't have manual focus capability. The FD-90 can be focused manually, but you can't attach an eye-viewer. What was Sony thinking?

Barry Gilfry's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow