Started Dec 26, 2002 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stormlord
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Sony Mavica CD250 review
Dec 26, 2002

The CD-250 is by far the best digital camera I have seen to date. I have always been sceptical about flash memory and memory stick technology as it appeared too proprietary. With the CD-250 you can save you pictures to inexpensive CD-R media. Some store clerks have told people I know that the disks will not work in CD-ROM drives until the disk is finalized, however I found that only partially true. The CD-R disc is formatted as a Direct CD device that will read on any CD burner that supports Direct CD(Most of them do.) Once the disk is finalized it will read on any CD-ROM. At half the res the camera supports it will hold 190 images and when printed to an inexpensive HP3820 printer on photo paper the images are indestinguishable from actual analog photo's. I wonder what 3 and 4 megapixel cameras are capable of.
This type camera is the only solution for users that take long vacations and do not own a laptop.

Problems:

The CD's use a directory structure that is apparently not compatible with Kodak's Photo CD as they will not work with placed directly into a DVD player that supports photo CD's. I am experimenting with placing the images on a separate disk.

The 2.5 inch LCD screen has a lens that collects ambient light to use as a backlight, however it only works well if the sun is directly overhead. When it does work however it saves battery life considerably.

The accessory plug for external flashes is apparently not standard and will not work with 35mm hot shoe type flashes even though the hot shoe is provided.

Stormlord's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow