Started May 12, 2003 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter Arvidsson
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon Coolpix 3500 review
May 12, 2003

This is my first digital camera, and I bought it because of the great deal I got on it. I paid about $275 incl. 16MB CF card from an on-line store in Sweden.
I have been using our company Nikon CoolPix 950 on several occasions and have been very satisfied with it even though it was bought five years ago soon.
After a week of taking a couple of hundred pictures I can say that there are a few quirks which I don't like... I don't like the fact that there's no optical viewer, I don't like the fact that the battery doesn't last for very long, especially when using the flash alot. The fact that it also needs much light to be able to auto focus is a bit annoying.
There are things I do like very much though, the pre-set scenes you can choose from, the excellent close-up feature among other things. On average I'm very satisfied with the image quality, the camera itself seems well-built and robust. Now, after buying an additional 128MB CF card I only have to get another EN-EL2 battery as backup. A minus as well that you need an external charger in order to charge the battery...

Problems:

Very hard to take good pictures at a live rock-performance with smokemachines and scene lighting, maybe I should play around more with the manual settings when taking pictures at gigs in the future...
EDIT: Pretty damn often (too often) when taking pictures (mainly indoors) using the flash, you end up with a varying degree of white spots in the picture. The spots look something like amoebas or something and vary in size. Taking two similar pictures in a row as fast as possible with the flash may very well give you one good, spotless image and one full of white spots. I have seen others mentioning this here and it's growing more and more annoying each time I end up with a more or less useless image...

EDIT2: As I wrote before, the "spots" are becoming more and more annoying, also the poor auto focus when the lighting is just below good is annoying. I am currently looking for another camera to buy, one with better zooming capabilities and a Sport/action-setting for the concert-photos.

Peter Arvidsson's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow