Started May 18, 2003 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bill Lewis
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Minolta DiMAGE X review
May 18, 2003

Superb Camera - As my Finepix 1400Z got damaged after the umpteenth accidental drop I was looking for a replacement, despite some negative points in the DP Review I wanted a small highly portable digicam, something that could go anywhere/anytime, the Dimage XT seems to still be unavailable in the UK so I went for the X version.

I mainly shoot engineering and automobiles for web work so full scale landscapes on 10x8 will not be an issue with or without the noted vignetting, after two days of ownership I can say the camera is quick & simple to use and very easy to carry due too the diminutive size. This camera will be with me all the time (and not in my laptop case) making for instant access, the start-up and shot-to-shot times are very quick, I have had several digicams before and speed of operation has always been a real pain but not anymore.

So far indoor and table top shots are acceptable, the close focus and reasonable zoom make for good quality small object shots, the flash seems to cope very well, I cant wait for the rain to stop so I can try it out in good lighting. I hope I dont suffer from some of the failures that have been listed as I like it so much, it does seem that QC has been hit & miss on this product judging by others here, I place good faith in Phil's reviews but think he was a tad harsh over the picture quality.

If I wanted "high quality" images I would have got the Canon A70 I recently suggested for a friend and was very impressed with, but even that is too bulky for pocket carrying when you wear a suit most days, the tiny X is a compromise, one that I can live with for better speed & portability, if I need "quality" I will use my old Yashica 35mm or borrow a Fuji S1 of a pal.

Problems:

So far nothing tangible, the additional cost of a leather case (£11.50), spare battery (£28) and bigger SD cards will add another £100 to the total, but for £199 inclusive from Amazon this helps justify the extra spend.

Bill Lewis's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow