Started Oct 30, 2003 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pdbregman
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Kyocera Finecam S5R review
Oct 30, 2003

I have been shooting since I was 12 (I'm 50). I've used many cameras. Yashica (first was a Electro 35 Gold). Canon. Nikon. Olympus. Contax. And for the 14 years, a Leica rangefinder. I wanted to go 'digital' but I wanted a camera that would be as light and quick as the Leica. And with a decent optics. While some digital cameras are certainly up to the task, their bulk and energy requirements were far from my desires. So in the meantime, I got a digital film scanner and continued shooting on 35mm. The Contax TVS digital came out and while I was intrigued by the potential of the optics I was totally unimpressed with the infuriating 'shutter lag'. Plus parallax issues abounded. Then this the S5R came out. Wow! This camera is lightning fast. Powers up instantly. Shoots high resolution equally as fast. Shot after shot. It's small, but it's remarkably heavy and well-built. So camera shake is minimal. Best of all, on checking images vs the viewfinder, the parallax (on wide shots at least) is negligible-a very very good thing. The images load down to pc in a jiffy. It takes the SD memory cards (I carry 256 MB units which hold about 100 Fine images). And the optics, are excellent. (I figured the Kyocera people had to have learned one or two things from their association with Zeiss.) In short, Kyocera nailed it. P.S. I use an external 4.6 amp-hour battery with an adapter plug for extended use. Keeps things down a lot.

Problems:

None that I can tell.

pdbregman's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow