Started Dec 21, 2003 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
peteb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,010
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix 4700 Zoom review
Dec 21, 2003

Hmm, well I'm reviewing this camera as I'm retiring it - well, not really, I guess it will be around as a backup/rough duty unit.

How to review? By today's standards, or the standards of March 2000 when I purchased it? I guess to be fair, review it against today's market. I have no idea if you can still buy it - looks like ebay carries refurbs for ~ $300. Good price.

This camera has been to a fair bit of the world with me, 17,000 images later (plus lots of vid clips) and it is still going. It has been dropped a couple of times (case is a little loose) and had it's fair share of dust and dirt, plus attacks by my baby daughter.

Had its funnies and bad things, but it has really done a great job over the past 3.5 years and still takes images I feel okay to print at A4 and display.

Problems:

Problems, well, there are limitations. AA NiMH batteries, get a few sets. Forget fulltime shooting with the LCD, it'll spit 'em out and ask for more. Save the LCD for complex shots and when you have to. Remember the viewfinder is not full frame, you get 20+% more image than you see.

Night shooting - hmm. Try manual focusing (not easy since there are no guides) as the AF is terrible at low light. Seriously, unless your subjects have reasonable illumination, don't bother trying. Nightshot allows long exposures, but unfortunately no ISO control...

Noise is not good, images can stand a little cleaning. Higer ISOs bring out the worst, but are there if you need them (in manual mode only).

peteb's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow