Started Feb 4, 2004 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pressureman
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
Pentax Optio 450 review
Feb 4, 2004

It has all been said already in the other reviews: great cam, nice zoom lens, solid construction. I just want to add that the user interface of this camera is wonderful: over- and underexpose are directly accessible, menu options are organised logically, you can define custom functions, there is a user mode and an grid overlay to align objects properly, the screen is excellent and the camera 'feels' good and solid. Only the menu buttons could have been a bit bigger. Overall a very nice camera. From my previous Ricoh, I only miss its docking station and thick transparent LCD cover.

The size of the 450 is both its biggest assett and limitation: as with any tiny camera, it is more difficult to hold steady and perfectly horizontal. There isn't room for a flash hotshoe. You cannot switch lenses (fortunately that 5 time zoom covers already a lot of ground). Based on my previous tiny Agfa & Ricoh digicams, I wanted another pocketable camera but now I think I may end up buying a second, big camera for all those opportunities where you know ahead of thime that it will be worthwhile lugging a sofiisticated camera around. The Optio will then remain a faithful everyday carry-anywhere companion.

Problems:

No problems (yet?), just the known limitations of a tiny camera and a large zoom lens: flash a bit weak, some vignetting (less than I expected), some noise at 400 ISO, bit pricey compared to the (admittedly non-)competition.

Shame on Pentax for selling a spare battery for twice the price I payed to have one flown in from Malaysia. I agree with others that battery life is excellent though.

Pressureman's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow