Started Feb 7, 2004 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TimV
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Pentax Optio 230 review
Feb 7, 2004

I bought this camera something over a year ago. Its self-portrait mode is really fun; every point'n'shoot camera should have a similar mode. The 3D mode is pure gimick; it was fun playing with it for a while but I never got it to work anywhere near as well as the example in the manual. Don't buy the camera for the 3D mode, but do have a little fun trying to use it if you already have the camera. The auto white balance is completely unable to handle incandescent light; if you're taking pictures in incadescent light, you must either do a manual white balance (easy to do) or manually set the camera to "incandescent". The macro mode is as good or better than advertised, although the camera will have a little bit of trouble really focussing when you get up really really close. The red colours on the camera saturate very quickly. Other than that, I've been quite happy with the camera. My next digital will be an upgrade to a faster more prosumer-level (and significantly more expensive!!) camera, however. The optio 230 does as well I expect it to, but it leaves me hungry for a faster camera with a more powerful lens system.

Problems:

- autowhite balance in incadescent light
- reds saturate quickly

TimV's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow