Started Mar 22, 2004 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Epix_de
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
Pentax *ist D review
Mar 22, 2004

This is my first DSLR. I own a Nikon PS 800, which I used for snapshots along with my three Ricoh SLR bodies (2x XR-X and a XR-2s). Changing over to the *ist D from the film bodies was no problem at all. I use the camera mostly in manual mode (only partly due to the lack of the "A" option of 2/3 of my lenses) or in Hyperprogram.
I had the chance to test the camera in low temperatures. With NiMH-batteries at -15°C I was able to shoot for about one hour before the batteries died. The camera accuracy and the display function were not affected by the low temperatures.
The image quality on screen is fine (though a bit contrast-less), I will order some large prints in the near future and re-evaluate the image quality then.
Addition: Now the prints have come. I had ordered prints from 12x8 inch to 20x28 inch^2 (20x30 cm^2 to 50x70 cm^2). The camera can easily deliver high quality for these prints. At the beginning I made the mistake of over-correcting the image levels in PS, so I added some noise. Using PS only slightly gives perfect prints. The "softness-issue" is a non-thing, there ain't no softness in the prints, even without applying USM to the images. And I am talking about JPG L*** images here, I just don't have the patience to work with RAW shots.

Problems:

It does not fit as comfortable in the hand as my XR-X, but still it's comfortable to use. I have managed to use the arrow pad with gloves and without noticable problems. The trick is not to press on the arrow directions, but just to move the finger into the arrow directions while it is resting on the center of the button. The compact flash door is no issue at all!
I am a bit conspicious on how long the mode dial will survive since I have to use it frequently to switch between different WB modes and the two preferred shooting modes.
A seperate WB dial would be handy - maybe it can be possible to change the firmware to render the Tv dial into a WB dial.

Epix_de's gear list:Epix_de's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 +5 more
Epix_de's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow