ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dr CyberEvil
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Kodak DX4530 review
Mar 27, 2004

<font color=red><b>Now cheaper with extra mem and dock</b></font>

- Especially happy with the ease of use and value for money. Dealers are now bundling this camera with a 128Mbyte SD/MMC memory card and the kodak EasyShare camera dock II for the same price as the camera cost in March 2004. That is, the ram and dock (which is about 50% the price of this camera) now come bundled for free with the camera purchase (See www.officeworks.com.au for this bundled deal).

- The dock II is great for recharging the supplied Ni-MH battery that comes supplied with the docking station. I get over 4 hours of intermittant use from the Ni-MH battery.

Problems:

- The Kodak share button is a bit of a waste of time. It allows you to tag certain photos as "favourites" or "to be emailed", so that the easyshare software can categorise them, and email them or copy them to a favorites folder etc. I would have preferred a 10sec timer button instead.

-The plastic lens cap is a big minus, but I will probably disgard the cap when I buy a soft leather case for the camera, (and the new-car syndrome wears off).

- Photos printed out at kodak in 4x6 inch size don't seem quite as crisp as I expected them to be from a 5 Mega pixel camera. This appears to be due to the fact they are JPEG compressed (which all digital cameras are - except for expensive cameras, which use a raw data format taking in excess of 10Mbytes per picture) and are actually half the size of pictures stored on other common 5Mpixel cameras. You therefore have photo's at about the same quality a 3Mpixel camera takes.

- Some of my photos suffer from a quite apparent chromatic aberration (purple fringe), especially noticable in photos with background sky, and some object like a tree or pole in this background. You see a purple fringe along the edge of the tree branches or pole, in the example above.

- This could be why Kodak are selling the camera cheap, as chromatic aberration is a lens / photosensor quality problem, virtually impossible to compensate for later in software (like photoshop etc). It is however common to see this problem in cameras around this price range or lower.

SO, WHO SHOULD BUY THIS CAMERA?

This camera is great for the mum's and dad's out there who want an easy to use point-and-click camera. The picture resolution (5Mpixel) will sound impressive to your friends, but because the pictures are compressed twice as much as you expect from a 5Mpixel camera, the pictures are really only as sharp as a 3Mpixel camera. On the other hand this extent of JPEG compression has the effect of further saturating a photo, thereby giving you the impression you have taken a really spectacular and colourful photo. This is fine if you are not looking for true reproduction of the subject you photographed. In addition, the tiny 1 to 1.5 Mbyte photos mean you can store twice as many pictures on your 32Mb internal memory, as someone with a more expensive camera who also has a 32Mb internal memory.

Dr CyberEvil's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow