Started Jul 22, 2004 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chrisveeman
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Olympus Stylus 300 (mju 300 Digital) review
Jul 22, 2004

I bought this camera, my first digital, three weeks ago for a trip to Vancouver Island. I went to the camera store thinking I'd buy the Canon A75. The salesman showed me this one and I decided to get it because of the all-weather metal body, the lithium-ion battery, and the ease of use. I also bought the 256MB xD card.

I did not read the manual. I simply started taking photos, and ended up taking about 250 on the 10 day trip (there was a lot to see). I was pleased by the image quality, the resolution, the construction of the camera, and very impressed by the battery life. I kept expecting it to die, but it just wouldn't.

This is not a camera for those who want a lot of control, but rather a tough, easy to carry, practical point-and-shoot to record rather than compose. I took it deep-sea fishing, hiking, to a wedding, flying, to museums, and generally about town. The best thing about it is that you really do not have to think about it - you simply throw it in your pocket and go. Don't have to worry about batteries running out, or getting caught in the rain, or dropping it ...

Problems:

I was unsatisfied, however, with the software supplied by Olympus. It is in the nature of 'trial' software which does not have full functionality (ie. you can't email the photos you download). Olympus wants you to buy the 'full' version for another $20. Because I consider this to be a dubious marketing ploy (full functionality should have been included in the box), I will buy third party software instead. Any recommendations?

chrisveeman's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow