Started Dec 31, 2004 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Draconian
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Pentax Optio 450 review
Dec 31, 2004

This camera started me out with digital photography and I was impressed. It had many interesting functions (3-D, panoramic views constructed with multiple shots) and delivered vibrant color. The camera was a good medium size but felt like a smooth brick and should have had some machined rough grip.
The controls were intuitive and gave you the option of programming your most-used functions (Menu button plus directional pad). Macro mode (down to 2 cm range) was impressive but I had no use for it. The condenser microphone and movie mode were a bit toy-like in quality but movies of great use with an ample memory-card. The included 16 MB card, though, was a joke fit only for about 6 photos at maximum resolution mode.
But the flash always was too intense and gave red-eye, and the auto-focus often would not track right. I had a serious problem in movie mode under low-light, high-noise conditions (trying to catch the antics at karaoke bars). If the digital zoom was invoked, sound-segments would start to interchange and make the sound unintelligible. Pentax Canada kept the camera for over 4 months but could not fix it, and ended up issuing me a model 550.

Problems:

Autofocus often fails to track (photos with blurry details).

Flash too intense, not scaleable, frequent red-eye to edit.

Movie feature (.mov files) a little rough at 15 frames per second, resolution low, trouble in low light. Sound problem in low-light/high-noise conditions with the digital zoom (using zoom sometimes scrambled sound segments, and Pentax could not solve it).

Draconian's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow