Flat view
robertstevenfish
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Ricoh Caplio R1V review
May 2, 2005

The Good:

Ultra small size fits easily in any pocket

Lens protector completely covers lens protecting it when the camera is in your pocket

Fastest lag time I have seen (you press the button, and it basically instantly clicks the photo)

Cool and crazy features (ex. unmanned auto incremental shooting for timelapse type photos)

Menu and buttons are logical clear and easy to use

Bright clear display

Uses 2 AA batteries or the lithium pack (I have only used AA with good results)

Good software - creates automatically folders with date and moves images in

28mm is a great wide angle for interior shots etc.

Macro is fantastic (to 1cm - just make certain that you have enough natural light)

For outdoor photos on bright days the images are just terrific

Problems:

Low light performance is rather poor (even manually setting ISO to 800 doesn't help)

Even outdoor shots in the shade require long exposure times (often resulting in blurred images)

Small camera size makes holding it steady a bit difficult

Flash is very weak (covers about 2 meters and not even the whole image field in 28mm more) If it used 4 AA battteries then it could probably have a respectable flash (but then it wouldn't be so small)

Marco mode often ends up firing the flash in lower light situations (which completely burn out your image)

You can forget zooming indoors, because it cuts the minimum f-stop down to nothing (and the flash cannot help here either)

I would not purchase this camera for myself. My wife got one to use for her job, and I have tested it for about a week. I would prefer a slightly larger camera which can do better indoors and in low light situations. At 230 Euro... not really a bargain.

robertstevenfish's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow