Started Jun 15, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
J Briggs
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC80 review
Jun 15, 2005

I chose this from a UK magazine review and am not disappointed.

It was only available from Panasonic but reasonably priced at £175 inc. P&P. A shame that they could not have included a bigger capacity SD card.

Camera feels solid and about the right weight. The default setting of 'vivid' colour over-emphasised colour noise under very dark conditions but changing it to 'natural' resulted in reasonable results.

Its Leica 3:1 zoom lens does a good job without much chromatic aberration and, if there is any geometric distortion at wide angle, it is not noticable. No complaints about colour balance.

Picture sharpness and detail is good. I took some long shots from high ground of details 20+ miles away, using a tripod, and there was useful detail on magnified areas of the resulting pictures.

This camera uses two high-capacity AA NiMH batteries and battery life is reasonable. You can use Manganese Alkali batteries, if 'push comes to shove'. Charging time is about an hour. I did not want one with a Lithium Ion battery that would cost a fortune to replace or as a spare.

You can easily take pictures one-handed, as the controls are reasonably well laid out and you are unlikely to accidentally switch it on in your pocket. A magazine report said that the mode knob is flimsy and easily nudged but I did not find this to be the case.

The LCD is small but bright and clear, with an optional histogram. Not much manual control over shutter settings but the preset ones seem to cover everything and work well. Focus time from first pressure on the button is a little slow at perhaps one second.

It is bulkier than such as the Pentax Optios, and not quite a shirt pocket camera but it slips easily into a jacket pocket.

Over all, I am pleased with this camera and will not need to upgrade it for a long time.

Problems:

No serious problems but so many pixels mean a susceptibility to camera shake. This Lumix model does not have an optical stabiliser.

Focus time from first pressure on the button is a little slow at perhaps one second.

J Briggs's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow