Started Jul 11, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PyrateCaptain
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Pentax Optio WP review
Jul 11, 2005

Bought this little guy to shoot primarily in wet environments but mostly above water as I keep a sailboat in the Caribbean. Normally I shoot with a Nikon D70 for surface work and with a Sea&Sea MX10 35mm film camera for diving work. While the Sea&Sea shoots well above water with it's fixed lens, it's bulky and heavy so I added the Pentax Optio WP to the line-up and don't have to worry about destroying the D70.

The Optio WP is a very user-friendly, light-weight and of course compact; battery life is decent but I'd suggest an additional battery.

I did use the camera while snorkeling and captured a few decent fish shots, but it was impossible to edit while snorkeling since my dive mask color corrects and also has prescription lenses so I can't see what I've got til I'm out of the water. I would suggest that Pentax build a collapsible monitor hood similar to the one I bought for the D70. If you intend to use this camera for UW work (snorkeling) be advised the flash will not work in UW mode, that's the only drawback thus far that I've encountered, but at the same time it's not meant to be used as a dive camera. Very happy with it.

PyrateCaptain's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow