Started Jul 25, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jfowler
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon Coolpix S1 review
Jul 25, 2005

Pictures come out decent but not exceptional for the discerning photographer.
Nice packaging of the camera. I like the looks, small size, easy, intuitive controls, many scene modes.
Battery life is acceptable but not the leader in this class, you can get a second for very cheap off of ebay.

I have the WP-CP5 underwater case and have used it scuba diving once with the underwater scene mode, it performed well.

Problems:

After using this camera for two months, I find it has more than the acceptable amount of distortion, darkening and blurriness around the edges of the picture at any zoom value, epecially in the corners.
That said, it's good for a quick point and shoot camera, but don't expect to take any prize winning photographs with it, unless you crop them later to get rid of the fringe effects.

Slow shutter speeds tend towards blurrier pictures than the norm unless in full light.
15fps video could be improved upon, same with the underpowered flash, but all flashes with ultracompact size cameras seem to be underpowered.

I see some potential here, I am not 100% ecstatic about this version. Hopefully they will address some of these issues in the next generation.

jfowler's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow