Started Jul 28, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dmansouri
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Minolta DiMAGE Xt review
Jul 28, 2005

Very poor performance under anything but optimal lighting conditions. I've been using this camera for about a year and a half, and while I love the form factor, I really don't care for the image quality. The camera is ultra compact and fits unobtrusively in a back pocket, which is great because you can have it with you at all times. The problem is, unless you're photographing subjects in bright outdoor lighting conditions, the photos are dismal. Indoor shots with the flash are almost always underexposed and grainy. With the flash off, you either have to turn up the ISO and get smacked with a ton of noise, or take your chances with a long exposure and get smacked with motion blur. You lose either way, unless you have a pocket tripod handy, or can place the camera on a steady surface at the right height.

Image issues notwithstanding, the internal zoom lens mechanism is brilliant, and for the money, the camera offers a good deal of features. Overall, this camera is good for street photography and gets major points for portability. Just don't expect to take any winning shots after dark or indoors. Oh, and the shutter lag is pretty bad too. I've missed out on some great action shots while waiting for the autofocus to do its thing.

Problems:

No mechanical or software glitches.

dmansouri's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow