Started Aug 26, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ian R Walker
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Minolta DiMAGE Xt review
Aug 26, 2005

I bought the Xt in August 2003 as a very compact good performing camera that could be carried around all the time rather than as a main camera (I used a Minox B for this previously). I find the results the equal of my (now worn out) 35mm P&S and much better than the Minox.

I find the optical viewfinder good although it exhibits the expected parallax error, and only use the LCD for some indoor shots of close subjects where I must avoid parallax error.

The ability to focus as close as 15cm is useful, although not truly macro it gives good results at the long end without the distortion that some 'macro' P&S cameras give because they are really close focusing ultra-wide angles with lens elements decoupled. I prefer to get a photograph of an insect 15cm away with a telephoto rather than an empty leaf at 3cm with a wide angle just because the insect was frightened off.

It would be nice to have the option of manual control, etc. but then it is a compact P&St camera.

Problems:

The LCD washes-out in strong Sunlight making it difficult to review photographs, but this is a problem in general with LCDs and does not prevent taking photographs.

It isn’t a Canon 5D; no that is unfair, it is not meant to be.

Ian R Walker's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow