Started Nov 21, 2005 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gavin Gration
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ1 review
Nov 21, 2005

This is a well constructed nice looking machine that takes good snaps in good light.

Bags of resolution and 6x optical zoom is good. Fringing is minimal but can easily be fixed with auto purple fringe reducer plug-in for PS.

In low light it's almost useless. Noise is low at ISO64, visible at ISO100 and dreadful at anything above ISO100. Indoors or under low light conditions it becomes more point and hope than point and shoot.

The AF is dire (slow/innaccurate). Even it good daylight & set to centre AF point it often misses the target.

Lack of an optical VF is OK in a digicam but in this case it's made worse because the EVF blanks out for ages between shots.

Idiot mode can be tweaked enough but there's no proper manual control. That's fine for the money.

I think that whoever programmed the thing in Japan put a random number generator inside it to govern the aperture/shutter speed settings - bizzare & unpredictable results are guaranteed.

I really wanted to like this camera but sadly I prefer the pictures/performance of my old Oly C3000Z.

Problems:

No faults but feel bitterly dissapointed with Panasonic- the shortcomings of this camera let the brand down. I guess they (Panasonic) thought it's TOO CHEAP! So they crippled it - the result is a really well built piece of junk!

Gavin Gration's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow